Runescape Jobs Available! Browse Listings.

Wednesday, November 02, 2005

Starting out as a Mage in Runescape

My secondary ("newbie") character is combat lvl 25 now and I've gathered about 50 mind runes and various fire and earth and air runes while fighting goblins and other monsters, so I figure maybe it's time to advance some mage levels.

From my mining of tin and copper ores and smelting into bronze bars which were turned into various bronze armors and weapons, I had gathered a little over 10k in the bank after selling everything at their proper specialty stores around the land. I brought that with me and headed to the rune shop south of East bank in Varrock.

Since my secondary player is on a free world, I found that the rune shop was really low on mind runes - they must be in high demand. I hopped worlds a few times and found that on each world, mind runes were quite depleted. I did manage to buy 100 of them however, so I took those and figured it would be a good start.

I also bought an air staff from the staff shop in the northwest corner of Central Varrock - it cost just under 1000 coins but will save me from having to use up air runes, which are a constant piece of a lot of the low-level mage spells.

Setting Your Primary Spell To Cast

As a Mage, you are expected to be using a staff of some kind when executing your spells. Like a warrior without a weapon to smash, slice or cleave you, a Mage without a staff is nothing.

If you can get an air, water, earth or fire staff in Varrock, do that - whichever elemental staff you get, the staff makes it so you don't need those specific runes in order to cast spells which call for them. The staff takes care of, say, your 'air runes' needs when wielded.

Another key thing about the Magician's staff is that with it wielded and with adequate other runes in their inventory, players can set their "default spell" to cast and fighting will become a lot more automatic than if you were not wielding a staff. If you've been frustrated at the process of casting spells to kill an opponent, this is the key you were missing.

Got The Runes and Staff, Where To Kill?

Personally, I'm a multi-tasking player. I like to not only build my mage skill, but also gather items that can be resold at a future time for when I need some quick cash. So, I decided my first round of mage killing would take place near Lumbridge, taking on cows, and gathering up the cow hides left laying around.

By the time my inventory was full of cow hides, I had advanced to magic level 7 and was allowed to fire off water blast spells - but I didn't have any water runes on me, they were back at the bank. I headed over to Draynor to store my items in the bank, and then I figured I'd visit the other Rune Shop which is located in Port Sarim.

Port Sarim - Less-Visited Rune Shop

Port Sarim Rune Shop is quite a bit less visited than the Varrock Rune Shop, and as a result, I found there were over a thousand mind runes awaiting purchase. I bought about 250 and then headed out to spend some of them with my water and earth runes once again.

East of Draynor is a great place to practice ranged and magic attacks - there are lvl 24 Jail Guards you can attack from behind a fence, and as long as you stay behind the fence and can fire on them, you'll kill them and they won't be able to take a single swing at you. A lot of Runescape Rangers and Mages use this strategy long into the high levels, so keep it in mind.

Unfortunately, Jail Guards don't drop anything but bones, so even though I stayed there and trained up to mage lvl 15 (I can now do fire blasts), I moved on to find something that offered more than just experience and training and prayer experience from burying their bones.

Remember those lvl 9 Wizards that smoked my metal-clad body when I was first training as a warrior? Well, a fellow Mage wouldn't smoke me when I'm wearing my mage outfit, so I went over and paid them another visit.

I am pleased with their drops, so I think I'll stay here a while to train. Here are the things I'm picking up after killing the Wizards:
  • Earth runes (5)
  • Coins (1-18)
  • Staff
  • Chaos runes (2)
  • Wizard robe top (blue)
  • Wizard hat (blue)
  • Water runes (12)
  • Mind talisman

I'm sure there's more they drop that I didn't get to see. At any rate, don't go home without a full inventory from there, even if it's just a bunch of staves to sell at the general store for a few coins.

The first real "goal" I have for my secondary character in terms of Mage is getting to lvl 25 and to where she can teleport to Varrock. Teleports help shorten transportation time something wicked, and even if she can only teleport to one city for now, that's great.

But, it will have to wait for another day, because it's time to go.

4 Comments:

At 11/03/2005 05:47:00 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I found that after achieving a level after Dark Wizard (Level 20) stopped aggressively attacking me, I dont know the level but it was around level 30 to 40. I found that this was the best time to train my mage.

The druidic circle south of Varrock contains many Dark Wizards (Level 7). These are perfect for casting a fire strike against. Basically, during my F2P era, I mined a bunch of ess (5000 pieces), made copious amounts of Air Runes, and Mind Runes until I had enough runes for 6000 fire strikes (I bought a fire staff). Then it was to the killing fields south of Varrock.

There is often many player trying to kill these dark wizards but with the fire strike you only really compete against rangers and other wizards. Warriors are too slow. Do not attack the level 20 wizards. They drop the same and those buggers hit hard.

With wizard robe, hat and ammy of magic, the level 7 almost never hit, and when they do it is for very little or it weakens you. The best thing is that these chaps drop tons of runes. I was able to raise my magic level to 54, using fire strike alone, and afterwards I was able to cast High Alchemy enough times from the drop nature runes that I was able to raise another 4 levels. I had over 1000 Chaos Runes, 100's of Cosmics, that I was well equipped to fight much harder opponents or create lots of items through enchantments.

It was a tedious task, best accomplished on the f2p, but was most effective.

 
At 11/03/2005 08:17:00 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

After watching your blog for a while now (I really appreciate a lot of it) I've noticed that you have not yet done a focus on ranging. I found this guide very usefull as I am trying to up my magic to lvl 55 and it gave me some ideas. But, I am "in need" I guess for some tips on ranging as I am totally a failure at it. haha. I am at almost a total loss at how to find some arrows that I don't have to pay a ton for! I was hoping you'd have some tips. Thanx

 
At 12/12/2005 01:54:00 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, I have been reading your blogs for a long time and I was hoping you could publish a blog about runecrafting b/c i need alot of help in thet area. I can make wind and mind runes but i can't find the place where i can turn the essence into runes for the mind runes but i got help from a nice guy named jmoney or something like that with the wind runes. he is really cool. well my name on runescape is popydog888 and if any one can help me on the game it would be much appreciated.

P.S. I need a blue wizard's skirt so if anyone has one they can get rid of, please contack me!

 
At 1/05/2006 10:36:00 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

well that is a good startout but i have found a much easier way to get qucik money for my mage and train effectivley. Complete the rune mysteries quest and mine some essence, after about 100 ess u should be able to sell it for 3k. that should buy you a staff and some runes. Mine more whenever u need runes. After u get those u should go over to the nights right before wildy and attack them from behind the fence. They will probably be a way higher lv than you and take longer to kill but will drop better stuffand are easy to hit high on because of all their armor

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home