Runescape Jobs Available! Browse Listings.

Monday, October 17, 2005

Becoming a Runescape Member: Valdesta's Reasons, Part 2

Another reason I wanted to become a Runescape member was the expansion of skills available to me.

Herblore was the first 'members' thing I really got hooked into doing for long periods of time in Runescape.

Where do I get started with Herblore?

You have to complete the quest that the druids dressed in white in north Taverley send you on. For more quest information, check out http://www.runehq.com (not my site). I don't help with quests. Personally I hate them and do them only when I absolutely have to ;)

Okay, I've finished the quest, now where can I find herbs?

In the dungeon south of Taverley (check your map!), there are 8 or so lvl 13 Chaos druids, dressed in red and white. Generally, there are other players there already camped out, but as long as the druids are resetting faster than they can be killed, the world you're in is great. Don't expect to find a world where NOBODY is playing in that area, as it's a very popular area.

The Chaos druids have regular herblore drops when you kill them - unidentified herbs (aka "unid's" on the buy/sell market), vials of water and snape grass are often found. Also, Chaos druids drop valuable runes - Laws, Natures and Airs are the one's you'll see regularly, but occasionally they'll drop chaos or death runes as well.

There are also Chaos druids in the Edgeville dungeon, just on the inside edge of the underground Wilderness there, past the muggers. These Chaos druids are aggressive which makes killing the next one easier (they attack you, you don't have to attack them first), but you've also got to pay attention to ensure you're not getting attacked by other players who are also there primarily for the Chaos druids and what they drop.

I can't identify most of these herbs!! What now??

At low levels, this is to be expected.

My advice is to store the unidentified herbs and keep on accumulating more, trying to identify every one you pick up. As your herblore levels advance you can identify more herb types, so if you keep a good bank store of the unidentified herbs, you'll get an experience boost by having stored herbs ready for identification.

You can also sell "unid's" as they're called, on the open player market (advertise at banks), for 1000 coins, or 1k each. I kept all the herbs until I got to being able to recognize Aventoe and then I decided to take a break so I sold all the unid's I had left and made a tidy profit from it.

Okay, I have a herb and a vial of water. Now what?

Click on the herb, click on the vial of water. Viola, if you are high enough level, you've just made an "unfinished potion". Now you need to find the potion's second ingredient (listed on the Runescape Manual ... Skills pages) and click on it and then on the unfinished potion, to finish it.

You would do well to explore and find places where the secondary potion ingredients spawn naturally in the world. I know of such places for snape grass, and have mentioned the availability of unicorn horns in the Wilderness in a previous entry. Limpwurt roots can be collected in a few spots as well, although generally they're monster drops and aren't just laying around on the ground.

My favorite potions

I like energy potions, they're very useful for my excursions into the Wilderness.

I will enjoy Weapon Poison when I finally get to it, but I'm still a long ways off.

Strength potions are sellable in free worlds and can be sold for 1k each, which is nice.

Antipoison is a MUST if you're exploring far away from civilization and don't have teleports.

3 Comments:

At 10/18/2005 07:46:00 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Maybe you should add prayer potions. They're a lot more useful than energy ones.

 
At 10/18/2005 01:50:00 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Quests with herb exp:

Jungle Potion - 775 exp
Recruitment Drive - 1000 exp
Heroes - 1875 exp.
Digsite - 2000 exp/
Shades of Morton - 2000 exp.
Zorges - 2000 exp.

Herb exp. 9850 (including druidic quest)

This should make you level level 27 without ever making one potion. At this level you can identify upto Ranarr Weed and make Attack, Anti-Poison, Strength, Stat-Restore, and Energy Potions.

It is then easy to raise herb to level 31 to then do the Eadgar Ruse Quest. In the end you'll be level 36, adding defense and agility potions with restore prayer in sight (Level 38) while identifying Toadflax.

 
At 1/30/2006 01:30:00 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Valdesta,

Since you are offering some herblorian advice in this post, I figured I'd "pile on" a couple other basics...

1. Always make 4 (or 8 or 12) potions at a time, and turn the resultant 3-dose pots into 4-dose pots. WARNING - left-clicking the pot will drink a dose, so right-click..."Use"...then click another potion, therefore stuffing the last dose in to top of the vial.

2. Save the now-empty vial from making 4-dose potions. I like to refill and store them for my next round of better-living-through-chemistry.

3. Read RuneHQ's stuff on Herblore in the "Special Reports" section. There's a lot of great advice and ideas in there for the Apothecary Wanna-Be.

Thanks!
-- Krinae Vanti

P.S. Great stuff on this blog, Valdesta!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home